Notice of Allowability
TOJO ET AL.
« The MAILING DATE of this communication appears on the cover sheet with the correspondence address-
All claims being allowable, PROSECUTION ON THE MERITS IS (OR REMAINS) CLOSED in this application. If not included
herewith (or previously mailed), a Notice of Allowance (PTOL-85) or other appropriate communication will be mailed in due course. THIS
NOTICE OF ALLOWABILITY IS NOT A GRANT OF PATENT RIGHTS. This application is subject to withdrawal from issue at the initiative
of the Office or upon petition by the applicant. See 37 CFR 1 .313 and MPEP 1 308.
1 . ^ This communication is responsive to communication filed 2/24/06 .
2. |3 The allowed claim(s) is/are 1-5.7-9.11-13 and 15-19 .
3. K Acknowledgment is made of a claim for foreign priority under 35 U.S.C. § 1 19(a)-(d) or (f).
a) ^ All b) □ Some* c) □ None of the:
1. S Certified copies of the priority documents have been received.
2. □ Certified copies of the priority documents have been received in Application No. .
3. □ Copies of the certified copies of the priority documents have been received in this national stage application from the
International Bureau (PCT Rule 17.2(a)).
* Certified copies not received: .
Applicant has THREE MONTHS FROM THE "MAILING DATE" of this communication to file a reply complying with the requirements
noted below. Failure to timely comply will result in ABANDONMENT of this application.
THIS THREE-MONTH PERIOD IS NOT EXTENDABLE.
4. □ A SUBSTITUTE OATH OR DECLARATION must be submitted. Note the attached EXAMINER'S AMENDMENT or NOTICE OF
INFORMAL PATENT APPLICATION (PTO-152) which gives reason(s) why the oath or declaration is deficient.
5. □ CORRECTED DRAWINGS ( as "replacement sheets") must be submitted.
(a) □ including changes required by the Notice of Draftsperson's Patent Drawing Review ( PTO-948) attached
1 ) □ hereto or 2) □ to Paper No./Mail Date .
(b) □ including changes required by the attached Examiner's Amendment / Comment or in the Office action of
Paper No./Maii Date .
Identifying indicia such as the application number (see 37 CFR 1.84(c)) should be written on the drawings in the front (not the back) of
each sheet. Replacement sheet(s) should be labeled as such in the header according to 37 CFR 1.121(d).
6. □ DEPOSIT OF and/or INFORMATION about the deposit of BIOLOGICAL MATERIAL must be submitted. Note the
attached Examiner's comment regarding REQUIREMENT FOR THE DEPOSIT OF BIOLOGICAL MATERIAL.
1 . ^ Notice of References Cited (PTO-892)
2. □ Notice of Draftperson's Patent Drawing Review (PTO-948)
3. ^ Information Disclosure Statements (PTO/SB/08), . .
Paper NoVMail Date 5/12/04.9/13/04 ^/^/^ > ?//7fil*
4. □ Examiner's Comment Regarding Requirement for Deposit
of Biological Material
5. □ Notice of Informal Patent Application
6. □ Interview Summary (PTO-413),
Paper NoVMail Date .
7. □ Examiner's Amendment/Comment
8. Examiner's Statement of Reasons for Allowance
9. □ Other .
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
PTOL-37 (Rev. 08-06)
Notice of Allowability
Part of Paper No./Mail Date 06-2007
Application/Control Number: 10/828,476 Page 2
Art Unit: 2624
1. The following is an examiner's statement of reasons for allowance: Independent claim 1
requires the combination of features of "storage means for storing a plurality of electronic data as
target comparison images; input means for inputting a reference comparison image obtained
from a printed material; segmentation means for segmenting the reference comparison image
into a plurality of regions based on an attribute; grayscale feature amount extraction means for
extracting a grayscale feature amount from a region having a predetermined attribute among the
plurality of regions segmented by said segmentation means; retrieval means for retrieving a
target comparison image corresponding to the reference comparison image from said storage
means by using the grayscale feature amount extracted by said grayscale feature amount
extraction means; and processing means for extracting the image retrieved by said retrieval
means from said storage means and processing the extracted image". Independent claims 18, 19
require similar combination of features. None of the prior art discloses such combination of
features. The prior art references found are Sato (6,181,818), Okajima et al (5,917,940) and
Barber et al (5,751,286). These references fail to disclose the claimed invention.
2. Any inquiry concerning this communication or earlier communications from the
examiner should be directed to Phuoc Tran whose telephone number is (571) 272-7399. The
examiner can normally be reached on MON-FRI.
If attempts to reach the examiner by telephone are unsuccessful, the examiner's
supervisor, Eileen D. Lillis can be reached on (571) 272-6928. The fax phone number for the
organization where this application or proceeding is assigned is 571-273-8300.
Application/Control Number: 10/828,476
Art Unit: 2624
Information regarding the status of an application may be obtained from the Patent
Application Information Retrieval (PAIR) system. Status information for published applications
may be obtained from either Private PAIR or Public PAIR. Status information for unpublished
applications is available through Private PAIR only. For more information about the PAIR
system, see http://pair-direct.uspto.gov. Should you have questions on access to the Private PAIR
system, contact the Electronic Business Center (EBC) at 866-217-9197 (toll-free). If you would
like assistance from a USPTO Customer Service Representative or access to the automated
information system, call 800-786-9199 (IN USA OR CANADA) or 571-272-1000.